Canis Redivivus!

Canis Redivivus!

My dog sleeps like a beach towel drying in the sun
after a vibrant afternoon throwing his tennis ball
into the lake, scaring fish and snapping gnats.

When he’s had his fill of fecund water, he collapses
onto the sand, panting, tongue drooped. I cajole
him home, where I wash the souvenir smells from his fur.

It’s the best way to get some quiet time to work
until I hear the distinctive music of his tags shaking
and he yawns into my office where I proclaim,

“Behold! Bobo Redivivus!”
He returns my wag,
ready for dinner.

(For this week’s Living Poetry Prompt: Redivivus.)

About Bartholomew Barker

Bartholomew Barker is one of the organizers of Living Poetry, a collection of poets and poetry lovers in the Triangle region of North Carolina. Born and raised in Ohio, studied in Chicago, he worked in Connecticut for nearly twenty years before moving to Hillsborough where he makes money as a computer programmer to fund his poetry habit.
This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Canis Redivivus!

1. I think I’m in love. With the dog, not you!!

You really knock it out of the park with the canine pieces Bart. It boils it down to the essence so perfectly.

Thanks

Liked by 2 people

2. butungislayp says:

I enjoyed this piece, Bart! 💜 Thank you 💜

Liked by 3 people

3. Cassa Bassa says:

Haha cute pup!

Liked by 2 people

4. Love this Bartholomew! 😊

Liked by 3 people

5. Pingback: Perennials – Gypsie’s Wonderful World of Words

6. JeanMarie says:

Three woofs of approval for this one!

Liked by 3 people

7. A very lively and lovely dog you have here Bartholomew! :)

Liked by 1 person

8. berniebell1955 says:

‘He returns my wag,
    ready for dinner.’

This is a poem by and for those who understand what it is to have a canine in our life. Since Ben-The-Dog passed from this life we haven’t had the heart to bring another dog into our life – but…we have neighbour-dog friends – lovely smelly messy beasties that they are!

Liked by 2 people

9. berniebell1955 says:

PS
    Mike wrote this…partly for Ben………

Liked by 2 people

10. brittabenson says:

Love, love, love your opening line!!! ‘My dog sleeps like a beach towel drying in the sun’ – I could sooooooo picture this!!! Beautiful image. Wow!

Liked by 1 person

11. Pingback: Canis Redivivus! – Fire of Moods

12. Very cute. Who doesn’t love a quiet dog?

Liked by 1 person